Anil Ambani (1959 - Present) is one of the outstanding businessmen of India. He is the Chairman of Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group and is held by many as the youth icon.
Life of Anil Ambani
Anil Ambani was born on 4 June 1959 to Dhirubhai Ambani and Kokilaben Ambani. He did his Bachelors in Science from the University of Bombay and Masters in Business Administration from The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
He is married to Bollywood actress Tina Munim and the couple has two sons Anmol and Anshul. Anil is the chairman of one of the largest private conglomerates in India the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group.
His elder brother Mukesh Ambani
is the head of the Reliance Industries.
Career of Anil Ambani
Anil Ambani joined Reliance Industries, the company founded by his late father Dhirubhai Ambani in 1983 as Co-Chief Executive Officer. He founded Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group in 2005 after the split in Reliance Group.
He led India's first forays into overseas capital markets with international public offerings of global depositary receipts, convertibles and bonds.
Since 1991 Anil took the reliance group to a new level. Along with his elder brother Mukesh Ambani, Anil has taken the Reliance Group to its current status as India's leading petroleum, power, petrochemicals, textiles and telecom company.
Anil Ambani is the member of the Board of Overseers at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He is also the member of the Board of Governors of the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad and Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur.
In June 2004 Anil Ambai was elected as an independent member Rajya Sabha with the support of the Samajwadi Party. But on March 25, 2006, he resigned voluntarily.
He took over Adlabs the movie production to distribution to multiplex
company that owns India's only dome theatre. He also invested USD 825
million in Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks Studios in 2009 to co-produce
movies. He is now one of the largest producers of Bollywood film
In early 2019, a court in Mumbai held Ambani in criminal contempt for non-payment of personally guaranteed debt Reliance Communications owed to Swedish gear maker Ericsson. Instead of jail time, the court gave him a month to come up with the funds.
In February 2020, Anil Ambani was locked in a legal battle with 3 Chinese banks. In October 2021, Anil Ambani was named in the Pandora Papers along with his brother Mukesh.
Awards and Recognition of Anil Ambani
- Conferred the 'Businessman of the Year 1997' award by India's leading business magazine Business India, December 1998.
- Voted 'the Businessman of the Year' in a poll conducted by The Times of India – TNS, December 2006.
- Voted the 'Best role model' among business leaders in the biannual Mood of the Nation poll conducted by India Today magazine, August 2006.
- Conferred 'the CEO of the Year 2004' in the Platts Global Energy Awards.
- Conferred 'The Entrepreneur of the Decade Award' by the Bombay Management Association, October 2002.
- Awarded the First Wharton Indian Alumni Award by the Wharton India Economic Forum (WIEF) in recognition of his contribution to the establishment of Reliance as a global leader in many of its business areas, December 2001.
- Selected by Asiaweek magazine for its list of 'Leaders of the Millennium in Business and Finance' and was introduced as the only 'new hero' in Business and Finance from India, June 1999.
|For biographies on other Businessman and Enterpreneurs, click here|