Indian History Timeline
It comes under the Stone Age of the history when primeval people used stones or stone made implement for different tasks.
- Paleolithic ( this period of Indian History lasted till 8000 B.C)
- Mesolithic (lasted from 8000 B.C - 4000 B.C )
- Neolithic (period lasted from 4000 B.C to 2500 B.C.)
Considered to be the first ever urban civilization, the beginning of Indus valley civilization or Harappan Culture coincided with the Bronze Age around 3300 B.C.
The four sacred Vedas are Rig Veda, Sama Veda, Yajur Veda and Atharva Veda were composed during this period. Ramayana and Mahabharata were written during this age.
Termed as later Vedic Age; sixteen Republics were encapsulated in four major towns namely Vatsa, Avanti, Kosala and Magadha around 400 B.C.
Mauryan Empire established by Chandragupta Maurya stretched its reign along Himalyas throughout North and towards East up to what is presently known as Assam.
Jainism and Buddhism:
Mahavira establishes Jainism in 500 BC and Buddhism was preached by Lord Buddha around 520 BC
It is also known as the Golden Age (280-550 A.D): During this era that Aryabhatta discovered the concept of Zero.The major empires ruling during this time were Satavahana, Kushan and Gupta Empire.
- Slave dynasty (1206 A.D. to 1290 A.D.)
- Khilji dynasty (1290 A.D. to 1320 A.D.)
- Tughlaq dynasty (1321 A.D. to 1413 A.D.)
- Sayyid dynasty- (1414 A.D. to 1450 A.D)
- Lodhi dynasty (1451 A.D. to 1526 A.D.)
- Babar (1526-1530)
- Humayun (1530-1540 and 1555-1556)
- Akbar (1556-1605)
- Jehangir (1605-1627)
- Shah Jahan: (1628-1658)
- Aurengzeb (1658-1707)
- Britain gets colonial power in India (1751)
- First War of Independence (1857)
- British Crown takes over Indian Government (1858)
- Capital shifted to Delhi from Calcutta (1912)
- Salt Satyagraha launched (1930)
- Quit India Movement (1942)
- Independence (1947)