Shopping in Dubai
Dubai is one of the most sought after places by Indians. Apart from some of the world famous tourist destinations like Burj Khalifa, Wild Wadi Water Park, Dubai Creek, The World and Jumeirah Beach, one of the reasons for Indians to visit Dubai is for shopping!
From electric goods to spices to designer wear to Arabian Souvenirs, the city is filled with everything a shopper needs. The place creates a typical shopping ambience with everything a shopaholic buyer would dream of.
Shopping Malls in Dubai
Dubai is synonymous with shopping malls. Unlike costly malls in the west, Dubai has shopping centres with best-valued and affordable items. Dubai has the world’s largest mall, The Dubai Mall with a total area that spans across 50 soccer fields.
This is the world's largest and most happening mall! Dubai Mall is located in Downtown Dubai.
The mall is an unparalleled mix of entertainment, leisure activities and world class dining options.
Apart from the mall's shopping possibilities, you can enjoy underwater zoos, aquariums and fashion streets.
The underwater zoo features a long 270 degree tunnel, where you can walk and enjoy the site of rare fishes on either sides. Another feature in the Dubai Mall that attracts families is KidZania. This is a creative and innovative concept for young kids. KidZania has a 76000 sq ft theme park with lots of adventurous rides.
The Grove in the Dubai Mall is an indoor-outdoor streetscape with a mind blowing retractable roof that will give you a glimpse of the open sky. The Dubai Fountain is one of the world's most breath taking outdoor, musical water fountains.
Best Buys - Anything under the sun can be bought from the Dubai Mall. It is quite interesting to note that the mall features retail units that will let you buy similar products at rock bottom rates and very high prices. From clothes to accessories to electronic items to basic-supplies, you can buy anything and everything from this beautiful, marvelous mall.
Dubai Mall Aquarium - an added attraction in the Mall
The mall features 22-screen cinemas, lots of space for parking, a 5-star hotel for those who wish to shop and rest, food courts of world class quality and plenty of activities for elders & youngsters.
Downtown Dubai - Dubai - United Arab Emirates
Emirates Mall alias Mall of the Emirates
The city's largest Carrefour is present in the Mall of the Emirates. The mall reflects the flagship of the Majid Al Futtaim Group.
According to a stat that was taken in 2007, the mall was visited by more than 27 million individuals every year. The number has continued to grow exponentially over the years.
The mall has received awards like the "Most Innovative International Leisure Concept" and "International Retail & Leisure Destination". On the whole, the Emirates Mall has bagged nearly 20 Awards (International and Regional).Best Buys
- If you are a budget conscious buyer with picky desires, Mall of the Emirates will be your
safest destination. The mall will let you hand pick high quality products in an effortless manner. Facilities
- The mall has 14-screen multiplex cinemas, the first-every indoor ski resort in Middle East, a five start Kempinshi Hotel, 70 coffee shops, countless number of restaurants, 500-seater community hall and ample space for car parking.Address:
Al Barsha 1 - Dubai - United Arab Emirates
Abraj Shopping Center
The Abraj Shopping Center is located in Deira, which is regarded as the heart of Dubai. The contemporary mall is present in a busy location witnessing more than 30000 visitors everyday.
This makes Abraj Shopping Center one of Dubai's busiest travel destinations. The mall spans across three floors and has more than 1200 shops.
Location : Near Deira Souk Al Sabkha area, Dubai Creek Rd.
Abu Hail Shopping CenterFacilities
- The mall has sprawling food court, parking spot, Free WiFi, Day Care Centers, Laundry and Disabled Services.
Facilities - The mall has a huge food court with delectable cuisines from every nuke and corner of the world. From tempting Bombay Chowpatty to South Indian Dosas to noodles, the mall's food court will definitely satisfy your hunger.
The mall features a fun city with indoor playgrounds and gaming units. Also, you can accomplish bank transactions, engage in postal services and book tickets from the mall.
Important Timings :Food Court Timings:
Sunday to Wednesday – 10:00 am to 12 Midnight
Thursday - Saturday – 10:00am to 12:30amLulu Hypermaket Timings:
08:00 am to 12:00 midnightARABIAN CENTER
Khawaneej Road, Al Mizhar, near Mirdiff, Dubai
P.O. Box 28676, Dubai, UAE
Al Khaleej Center
The mall has Dubai Islamic Bank and Emirates Islamic Bank ATMs. Along with lots of local cuisines, retail shops and space for simple recreational activities like bowling.Important Timing :Food Court
Saturday to Thursday: 12:00pm - 12:00am
Friday: 2:00pm - 12:00amMall Management Office
8am - 1.30pm / 4pm - 7pm
Thursdays: 8am - 2pm
: Albustan Mall has amazing shops for discerning shoppers, cafes, restaurants, food courts and facilities for young children along with lots of parking space.
The mall has supreme dining choices, lots of foliage, eye catchy courtyards and beautiful lounges. If you are a visitor, you can reside in the mall's luxury hotel apartments.Timings :Food court Timing :
Saturdays-Wednesday 10:00am to 11:00pm
Thursdays and Fridays 10:00am to 12:00am
Sheikh Zayed Street, Dubai
Another popular mall in Dubai is "The Holiday Center". The mall belongs to the Al Fahim Group.Facilities :
The mall is built luxuriously with a relaxing ambience and spacious walkways. It hosts many promotional activities, cultural events and entertaining shows for the young and the old.
Ibn Battuta Mall
Ibn Battuta was a man of adventure and fun. He loved to travel and adhere to Islamic Values.
At an young age of 20, Ibn Battuta set out and acquired great knowledge and insight into life! Today the Ibn Battuta Mall pays tribute to the life and journey embarked by an individual with lots of inspiration.
Best Buys - If you wish to buy cultural artifacts and rich gifts with a real sense of ease, you will love Ibn Battuta's retailing zones. The mall is not a place for local buys.
Facilities - The thematic mall will give you an inspiring and never-like-before shopping experience. From culinary delights to great shopping options, the mall has everything a picky shopaholic would want!
Sheikh Zayed Road, Jabel Ali - Dubai
Two Ideal Destinations For Street Shoppers in DubaiAl Faheidi Street is an important place for street shoppers in Dubai! The place is located in Bur Dubai and it is an area that mixes a wide range of shoes with an exclusive collection of products like shoes, clothes and jewellry.
No.1 - Al Faheidi Street
No.2 - Karama Shopping Street
Karama is a small market with lots of traditional and historical importance. The market is located 10 minutes from Dubai Creek and is regarded as a charming bazaar with everything under the sun.
Unlike huge shopping malls that would pull your eyes and increase your heart beat, Karama is a place for cheap, realistic merchandise. You can shop in this street without worrying about going bankrupt!
No.3 - Gold Souk in Dubai
A popular destination in Dubai with Indians in every corner is Dubai Gold Souk. The market is located in the Al-Sabkha Road in Deira. It is sells vibrant gold at reasonable rates. Most Indians visit Al-Sabkha to buy gold at discounted rates.
Apart from cheap gold jewellery, Al Sabkha Road is renowned for its best quality gold. There are about 300 retailers with both international and national making their presence felt.
Address : Deira (near Baniyas Square) Al-Sabkha Road, Dubai
Dubai Annual Shopping FestivalThe Dubai Shopping Festival is locally called as "Layali Dubai". It is an annual event meant for ardent shoppers and real shopaholics. The event was conceived during early 1996. Ever since then, the shopping festival has been a grand success.
Dubai Shopping Festival opens with amazing firework shows and lasts for around 32 days. Currently, the festival attracts more than three million visitors every year. If you are ought to visit Dubai, try to step into the country during this annual event.
You will spot many music shows, street performances, firework displays and film festivals in and around Dubai. Also, don't miss the annual Fashion Week that is hosted by famous brands and International Labels.
What Should You Buy During the Dubai Shopping Festival?
- Dubai Shopping Festival is the best time to buy expensive cars! This is because during this time of the year, you will get access to cars at affordable rates. The required model can be booked and bought at lower rates .than usual.
- DSF is regarded as a global village for clothes and accessories. People from different parts of the world flock into Dubai to get hold of clothes from this festival. You can get your hands of different types of clothes that are categoried based on the style, trend, quality and price.
- DSF would remain incomplete without electronic items. If you are in the country during DSF, don't forget to buy appliances like televisions, mobile phones and laptops. Even in luxury malls, you will have the wit to buy branded electronics at comparatively low prices.
- One of the wisest things to buy from the Dubai Shopping Festival is Gold.The Gold Souk in Dubai will confer you with high quality gold at a low price. Apart from affordability, you can buy gold that is made in jewellery of different patterns, designs and weights.
- Last but certainly not the least, Dubai Shopping Festival is an exotic time of the year for amazing nuts and spices.
Duty-Free Shopping in Dubai
Dubai Duty Free is one of the biggest airport retail operators in the world. It is operating around 40,000sqm across Dubai International (DXB) and Dubai World Central (DWC), also called Al Maktoum International,
Launched in 1999, the Dubai Duty Free mega raffle is one of the best – the Millennium Millionaire sees ticket holders stand a chance to win a staggering US$1 million. The biggest selection of outlets is Terminal 3. Among the best-selling products are perfumes and gold, with plenty of seasonal launches and luxury collections to check out.
Duty Free Allowance for Indian Travelers in Dubai
An Indian passenger who has been residing abroad for over one year is allowed to bring jewellery, free of duty in his bonafide baggage upto an aggregate value of Rs. 10,000/- (in the case of a male passenger) or Rs. 20,000/- (in the case of a lady passenger). Along with if two litres of duty free alcoholic wines and liqueur is allowed. The goods over and above the free allowances shall be chargeable to customs duty @ 35% + an education cess of 3% i.e. to say the effective rate is 36.05%.
8 Must Buys From Dubai
- Electronic Items
- Bags and other accesories
- Camel Milk Chocolates
Important Points to be remembered when you Shop in Dubai
Dubai is a shopping paradise with lots to see and explore. The place is a shopper's paradise! However, you should remember few important points, when you shop in Dubai:
- All malls are usually open from 10.00 am to 1.00 am, seven days a week. There would be slight variations during weekends, festive seasons and Fridays.
- Travellers should be very careful about their looks and behaviour in malls. Though malls may look bigger and better than what is present in USA or Europe, the Islamic Country adheres to stern rules and regulations. For instance, you may even hear prayer songs in the mall's speakers!
- Don't show lots of skin in Dubai Shopping areas. Try to wear decent, fully covered clothes.
- Don't display excess affection, love and care in the shopping areas.
- Don't speak stern, aggressive words in the mall. If you get caught using a bad word, you should be prepared to face the worse.
- During the Holy month of Ramadan, you must not eat or drink in the shopping malls.
- The best fashion sales and offers would pop up during the start of every year and during summer months.